Monday, December 10, 2012



Been busy here since last Tuesday!  Have made 4 hats!!! The first two are from my favorite Owl Hat Pattern from Repeat Crafter Me.  Usually make the beak in a golden yellow but on the yellow hat it just would not work!  Opted for the same color as the crown of the hat- not too bad!  Used Lion Brand Vanna Barley for the crown and White for the eyes.  Used Hobby Lobby's "I Love This Yarn" Yellow and Limelight for the base of the hat.

Then I moved on two new patterns.  One was this woman's hat.


I used The Bulky Skullcap pattern from BirDeli's Handmade.  I used Lion Brand's Homespun in Lagoon.  The pattern worked up easily.  Seemed too short for me so I added 3 rows. I completed row 7 and then repeated it 3 times.  Then I picked back up at row 8 and finished as written.  Definitely need to use markers on this pattern. This pattern was quick and easy.  Took two days to finish but could easily be done in one day.

Lastly........ I went into stealth mode and made this Black LEGO Ninjago Hat from KnittyMomma.  Her pattern is for sale on her Etsy site. Changed the tie on the back.  It was supposed to be a crocheted strip folded in half and the sew in place.  I crocheted my strip to be 10" long.  Then I tied an overhand knot.  I did a running/gathering stitch along each end as I was weaving in ends so that the end of the ribbon had points on each end.  After finishing the strip I sewed in place on the right side halfway between the center of the back and the side.  I used  Hobby Lobby's "I Love This Yarn" Yellow for the eye part of the hat.  I used Lion Brand's Vanna's Choice black for the hat and tie.  


Now-Off to make more hats!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your work!
Beth Y

Sydney said...

I love theses hats! I'm making a bunch of Ninjago hats for the little boys in my life! Can I ask how you did your eyes and eyebrows? I like them crocheted better than the fabric.

Ruth said...

I love the hats too! I am now working on Minion hats for a friend's boys for Christmas. The Despicable Me 2 movie is coming out soon and she wants them to have hats. Have a feeling I will be making a lot of both kinds of hats over the next few months.

I haven't crocheted the eyes...yet. I made felt eyes in my first hat but have been pondering another way to make them. The felt was not hard to work with but not sure how it will stand up to the wear and tear of boys. I would love to see and hear how you are crocheting them. Thought about using No. 10 thread for more control of shaping but have been too busy to actually sit down and play with it.

I did do something to the original pattern. I wasn't satisfied with just crocheting a black strip for the tie and folding in half and sewing on. I ended up making my strip about 10 inches long and then tying an overhand knot and then sewed it on. I also didn't like the wide ends to the tie. I stitched my loose beginning and ending thread along the edge and gathered it before finishing off. It made the ends pointed and more like a scarf that had been tied.

Would love to see your hats!